People often ask me what Nicaraguan food is like. My immediate response is usually “It’s not very pretty…” But I’ve changed my mind. I got together with the very talented photographer Kristin Teig and came up with these images—Nica food cleans up nice!
From top left:
- Gallopinto (rice-and-beans), corn tortillas, and cheese on banana leaf background.
- Chicharrón con yuca—popular Nicaraguan street food served on banana leaf and eaten sans utensils: boiled yuca, pork cracklings, and vinegar-y cabbage slaw.
- Coca-Cola—in a bottle, and in a plastic baggie, as it is sometimes served (you can’t walk off with the bottles because they’ll be picked up and refilled at the Coca-Cola factory!).
- Hojuelas: fried discs of dough drenched in simple syrup.
- Mango “seleque” —we add a generous pinch of coarse salt to tart mango.